Are You Embarrassed By Your RED VELVET CUPCAKES Skills? Here's What To Do


These red velvet cupcakes are moist and fluffy. These cupcakes are simply divine with the tangy cream cheese frosting.

Red velvet cupcakes have been the most requested recipe in my blog. Up until recently, red velvet wasn't something I liked. Is it chocolate? Is it vanilla? I am always confused by the flavor.

When I tried a three-layer red velvet cake, I was instantly in love. It was buttery and moist with vanilla flavors. The cream cheese frosting provided the perfect accompaniment to the rich red velvet crumb.

Simply put, The red velvet cake was a perfect choice.

I have never been capable of creating something similar! Since the beginning of my red velvet journey, I have felt like a failure. I have tried many different red velvet cake and cupcake recipes. Some were great, some not so good.

In the midst of all my pumpkin cake shenanigans, I also worked like an idiot on a recipe for red velvet cupcakes. And I am so happy that I succeeded. It was a success! These cupcakes look and taste amazing.

I'm going to tell you about these cupcakes.

Red velvet stands out among chocolate cupcakes thanks to its delicious buttery flavor. That's what I love about red velvet. During some recipe testing, I forgot about that flavor. All I could think of was how to make this cupcake moist, Sophie. And oil adds so much moisture to cupcakes! However, oil doesn't impart the natural buttery flavor of butter, and two, the cupcakes don't turn out as soft and light. In cupcakes and cakes, creamed butter gives them a creamy texture. Too much oil can make baked goods heavier.

Let's combine them. Oil - "The moistmaker" (name that quote!) You can make fluffy cupcakes with creamed butter or oil.

The cocoa. That's why the red velvet cupcakes will have a hint of chocolate. Red velvet tastes more like a vanilla cake rather than a chocolate one to me. To give the cupcakes a subtle chocolate flavor, I use only four teaspoons of cocoa. It's perfect.

While I usually love to add brown sugar to almost all my baked goods, I don't use it in these red velvet cupcakes. I don’t want any molasses flavor to dominate the vanilla, butter, or chocolate flavors. Simply white sugar suffices.

Baking Science // Nerd Alert...

When it comes to red velvet, buttermilk is essential. Buttermilk is light and tangy with lots of moisture. It's creamy and rich. This buttermilk is essential for these red beauties. This buttermilk is not only good for the texture and taste, but it also helps activate the baking soda. Vinegar is also a good option. You don't have to be afraid, red velvet desserts can contain some vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is an alternative to white vinegar. Vinegar also makes the red... more red.

I almost forgot about the flour. All my red velvet cupcake-testing was halted by the flour. The key ingredient in ultra-light cakes is cake flour, but I (and many others, I'm sure), don't keep any cake flour in my pantry. So I prefer to use all-purpose in my cupcake and cake recipe development. Well. When I made DIY cake flour, I realized that this recipe was the one for me. What is cake flour, and how does it differ from other flours? Cake flour is a low-protein flour with a fine texture. When you combine it with a batter, a lower protein count means less gluten. This results in a fine, soft crumb. You can think of it as angel food cake. In a nutshell cake flour creates a lighter cake crumb that all-purpose flour. Red velvet cakes are famous for their light texture. You can make your own cake flour by reducing all-purpose flour slightly, and adding cornstarch.

 

This took much longer than I had intended.

 

The red velvet cupcake by itself is quite impressive. But, what I like most about this cupcake is the cream cheese frosting. My frosting is like a cloud made of cream cheese heaven. This frosting is rich and creamy. It's sweet, tangy, creamy, smooth, and delicious. It is my favorite cream cheese frosting recipe. I have never been disappointed.

You are going to love them. Red velvet lovers, rejoice now.

Follow me on Instagram sophieskitchen8 and tag your lovely creations.

Red Velvet Cupcakes

  • Author: Sophie

  • Prep Time:20 minutes

  • Cook Time:20 minutes

  • Total Time:40 minutes

  • Yield:14 cupcakes

Description

These red velvet cupcakes are moist and fluffy. These cupcakes are simply divine with the tangy cream cheese frosting.

Ingredients

  •  2 large eggs separated, at room temperature

  •  1 1/3 cup 166g all-purpose flour

  •  1/2 teaspoon baking soda

  •  4 teaspoons / 7g natural unsweetened Cocoa powder

  •  1/4 teaspoon salt

  •  1/4 cup / 60g Butter without salt Softened to room temperature

  •  1 cup / 200g Granulated sugar

  •  1/2 cup Canola or vegetable oil 120ml Oil

  •  2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

  •  1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar

  •  liquid or gel red food coloring

  •  1/2 cup / 120ml buttermilk *Room temperature

  •  Cream cheese frosting for topping



Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350°F / 177°C. Line a 12-count muffin pan using cupcake liners. This recipe makes 14 cupcakes. If you want to bake 2 more cupcakes, make sure you have enough cupcake liners.


  • Use a handheld mixer or stand mixer with a whisk attachment to beat the 2 egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form in a medium bowl. This should take approximately 2-3 minutes. You can see a photo at the bottom of this post to get a visual. Set aside.

                    


  • Combine the cornstarch, flour, and salt. Mix well. This should be combined with baking soda, cocoa butter, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.


  • Use a stand or handheld mixer with a paddle attachment to beat butter until smooth and creamy. It should take approximately 1 minute. Then add the sugar to the butter and continue beating for 2 minutes. As needed, scrape the bowl from the sides and the bottom with a rubber spatula. Blend the oil in and beat for 2 minutes. You might notice the butter looking "piecey", and it may not be completely incorporated with the oil. This is normal.


  • Add the 2 egg yolks to the vanilla. Mix on medium-high speed, until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl occassionally. Mix in the vinegar and food coloring until you achieve the desired color. I use 2 Tablespoons. Mix the dry ingredients with the mixer at low speed. Add the buttermilk in three additions, starting and ending with dry ingredients. Then, mix each addition until it is incorporated. Don't overmix. Use a rubber spatula, or a wooden spoon to fold the whipped egg whites into the cupcake batter. The batter should be smooth and slightly thick. If there are any butter leftovers - which was the case in my first batch - this is normal. As the cupcakes bake, they will become melted. They will become even butterier.




  • Fill cupcake liners with batter, filling them 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake the cupcakes for 20-21 minutes, or until they spring back when touched lightly and a toothpick is inserted into the middle comes out clean. Do not overbake, as the cupcakes will dry out. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Then transfer to a rack to cool completely.


  • Prepare cream cheese frosting. Frost the cupcakes right away after they have cooled.

Notes

  1. Make Ahead and Freeze Instructions: Cupcakes may be prepared up to a day ahead, covered, and kept at room temperature. Frosting can be prepared up to a day ahead, covered and kept in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it. Before serving, decorate/assemble the cupcakes. Remaining cupcakes can be kept covered at room temperature for up to 3 days. Frosted cupcakes can be frozen for up to 2 months. Let cool in the fridge overnight.

  2. Cake flour: I use sifted flour + Cornstarch to make cake flour. If you have cake flour in your pantry, 1 and 2/3 cups (about195g) of all-purpose flour or cornstarch can be used instead. This is everything you need to know about home made cake flour substitution.

  3. Food Color: You can use as much or as little red food coloring as you like. I tried different amounts. Use 2 Tablespoons liquid food coloring to achieve the deep red color shown here. You can dye the batter until it is your preferred color. You don't need to dye the batter if you don’t want to. This recipe is not compatible with natural alternatives.

  4. Buttermilk: Buttermilk is needed for this recipe. If you are not able to find buttermilk, you can make your own. In a measuring cup, add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar. Next, add 1/2 cup of whole milk to the same cup. This soured milk can be used in a pinch with lower fat or nondairy milks, but cupcakes will not taste as rich or moist. Let it sit for five minutes before stirring. You can use the homemade buttermilk in this recipe once it has curdled a bit.

Mini Cupcakes Line mini cupcake pans using liners or spray nonstick spray to make around 36 mini cupcakes. Follow the instructions to prepare cupcakes and frosting. Bake mini cupcakes for 12-13 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Follow me on Instagram sophieskitchen8 and tag your lovely creations.

Enjoy!!!

Comments

  1. Lovely recipe with tips to boot. I will surely try it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sanya, do share your cupcakes on my I.G. I'd love to see how they turn out :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment